Friday 23 January 2015

Orange is the new Black...

...pit of despair I sink into when painting it...

But still, it is worth the effort, and to kick of the month (or year) I have knocked out two wee Razorboars, thus keeping my force still all Battlegroup.
Flaming Pigs, not just Roman around...






 
We doan need no steenkin' units...


So, next on the painting agenda, and in a bid to break out of the whole Battlegroup only force, I have a unit of Bonegrinders on the go.  Probably not the best beginning unit for Thornfall, although they will also give me some pre-painted points if I start a Blindwater list  ;)  I've tried them out a couple of times, and whilst they haven't been stellar, they are not a bad filler unit, the Arcane Bolt comes in handy, and they can do in a pinch to Quagmire something else.





As well as the Grinders, I've been working away on Rorsh & Brine, partly due to them being pretty much fully basecoated, partly because they are part of Carver's Tier list.  I'm not entirely sold on his Tier, saving 2 pts on Brigands isn't great when you are spending 9 on a Solo (with attendant Heavy) and losing all the units having Advance Deploy is a big blow, although, it is somewhat mitigated in my case by having a lot of beast that instead gain Advance Move.  Time will tell on how best to run it.

(One) Armed and Dangerous...


So, originally I was aiming at having 5pts painted this month between the max. Grinders and a Razorboar.   I'm at 4 already with the 2 Razorboars, and the Grinders will take me to 6 or 7.  Getting Rorsh & Brine would take me up to 15 or 16, which isn't a bad chunk to add to what I already have.  I'm toying with the idea of trying to get least one of each Farrow option painted up before doing more duplicate choices, so, not counting Alten Ashley or Gudrun, or any of the other non-pig solos.  If I can finish off the Grinders and R&B, that would leave - Roadhog, Maximus, Brigands, Slaughterhousers and Razorback Crew.  I'm thinking along the lines of finishing off each area (Warbeasts/Solos/Units) before tackling a new 'Lock although Arkadius and Midas would bring in some new Beasts as part of their Tier lists.

In non-painting news, I've also managed to get a few games in, somewhere around 4-5, and doing not bad.  I've broken the play it painted rule, just to try out new things, but, at the end of the day, I really don't have too many choices to spoil me for choice, and I'll be painting up at least one of everything anyway.

Brushchewer also picked up Maximus and the Sentinel UA for me, so, I am pretty much up to date with Thornfall releases (roll on the MeatThresher) and am just an Aspis away from a full Retribution collection.

Looking forwards, if I clear what is on the paintstation this month, I have a few pieces lined up in the wings, so I reckon it might be time to bust out a new big (flaming) gun with the Roadhog, and possibly some Slaughterhousers too.




No comments:

Post a Comment